What are some of the aspects that go into flat roof repair or flat roof maintenance? This blog from Summit Commercial Roofing will address some of those issues, so businesses can decide whether they should contact us to ensure proper upkeep and health of their roofs. [Read more…]
Commercial Roofing Blog
As a business owner, you’re always laser focused on controlling expense, especially unforeseen expenses. Replacing a commercial roof can be one of these unwelcome shocks to your capital expenditures budget. That’s why it’s critical that you get clear, honest communication about your roof repair or replacement project before making the decision to repair on replace your roof.
10 Questions to Ask Your Commercial Roofing Contractor
Here’s a list of 10 great questions that you should ask of any commercial roofing contractor before your make the final decision to move forward with your roofing project.
- Why is my current roof failing? There are a lot of reasons that roofing systems fail. Knowing why yours failed can help you make the best decision in repairing or replacing your commercial roof.
- How much would it cost to repair this roof? Is there a repair that will give me another five years with my existing roof? It’s reasonable that you would know the options to repair versus replace a damaged roof.
- If replacement isn’t an option, what is your best recommendation to stop all the leaks? Are there any options short of replacing the entire roof? This is always a fair option and your roofing contractor should be willing to share any and all options.
- Do you use your own crews or subcontractors? Both are reasonable ways to do business as a commercial roofer. However, it is also reasonable for you to inquiry a little deeper to understand if they have used the subcontractors in the past and assure they are a professional and quality crew.
- Do you plan on covering my existing roof or tearing it off? Both have advantages and disadvantages and are acceptable under the right conditions. The most important part is that the company is abiding by build codes and best practices. For example, it’s generally best practice to have your contractor tear off a roof that has “two or more” roof systems currently on it.
- What is the difference in price between a 30-year manufacturer warranty and a 15-year manufacturer’s warranty? These are standard periods (with 20 and 25-year warranties being available in-between) and the cost difference may not be significant, depending on the type of roof you have. It’s worth understanding your options.
- Have you replaced a roof similar to mine? Can I call that business and ask them how it went? There is no better insight into a roofing contractor, or any business than to talk to their past clients. Ask the question.
- When can you really begin my roofing project? This question is more important than you might think. One roofing company may be less expensive, but if it takes them six months just to get started and then even longer to finish, then the alternative contractor with more availability to get underway might be the best option.
- How do you handle changes and change orders? It’s inevitable; there will be things that are uncovered during your roofing project that may increase the cost over the original estimate. It’s important that you are kept in the loop as they are discovered. Not just sent a bill after the work is done.
- Who will my point of contact or project manager be during the work? Make sure you know who this person is and ensure that they convey a sense of reliability, clear communication, and trustworthiness before the project is initiated. There should be someone to assigned to communicate with you, on site while the work is being done.
Contact Summit Commercial Roofing for an inspection and roofing quote from a family-owned business with over 60 years of experience serving businesses roofing needs throughout metro-Detroit.
Call 734-564-0371 for a roof repair quote.
Summit Commercial Roofing represents Michigan’s best licensed and insured Roofing Company for new and existing commercial roofs, repairs, TI and building roof maintenance. Rely on our 30 years of exsperience in commercial roof construction, commercial roof maintenance and commercial roof repair in the Detroit area. We do it right, on time and within budget Guaranteed. [Read more…]
Flat roofs are a particular kind of roof that is used widely in commercial building. At Summit Commercial Roofing, therefore, we deal with only commercial flat roofs—including flat roof repair, flat roof maintenance, flat roof installation, as well as an assessment of your building to determine which flat roof approach is necessary and best for you, for the least amount of money and work. This blog will tell you a little about flat roof design, so you can learn a little more specifically what they are, and what they mean to your business. [Read more…]
You may wish to know some of what is involved with keeping up a flat roof for your commercial building. At Summit Commercial Roofing, we are flat roof experts who are experienced with flat roof repair, and flat roof maintenance. Of course, we are also experienced in installing the commercial roofs! This blog will describe some details in flat roof maintenance. [Read more…]