What is an EPDM Roofing System?
EPDM roofing is a popular material for flat commercial roofs. EPDM stands for “Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer” and it is a durable synthetic rubber membrane made from oil. In fact, it has been a popular choice in the industry for over forty years and has proven its ability to endure lots of hazards, including hail, ozone, and extreme heat. It is also able to stay flexible in cold temperatures. EPDM roofing material has a life expectancy of 15-25 years.
What are the Benefits of EPDM Roofing?
- Lightweight, meaning less weight on the building structure
- Proven performance record of over 50 years
- Low maintenance requirements
- Unharmed by UV radiation
- Resistant to heat and fire
- Remains flexible and accommodates structure movement
EPDM Roof Repair
Besides its durability, one of the reasons EPDM roofing is popular is because it is typically simple to apply to roofs. Repairing EPDM roofs involves using one of two methods:
- The splice adhesive method – With this method a black rubber glue is applied directly to the damaged membrane.
- Peel and Stick method – This uses adhesive pieces to repair the membrane. This newer method is faster and better and lasts longer.
Despite the simplicity of EPDM roofs, we advise against amateur roofers repairing them. There are a couple of reasons for this:
- Working with flat commercial roofs takes specialized knowledge, and
- EPDM is only sold through distribution to professional roofers and contractors. It is designed to be worked with by professionals and may come come as a 1,000 sqft. roll.
EPDM is available in both black and white but is usually seen in black.
As professional roofers, Summit Commercial Roofing knows how to repair and reroof buildings with EPDM roofs. If you have a roof with this material that needs work then let us come out and take a look. We will give you a quick quote at a competitive price. We are professionals who stand by our work. Contact us now to get a quote.